Excelsior Offering Performance Conditioning Programs for Participants in the Buffalo Marathon and 11 Day Power Play
The Sports Medicine team at Excelsior Orthopaedics is now helping athletes across WNY prepare for two of the area’s highest profile endurance events – the Buffalo Marathon which will celebrate its 20th anniversary this May and the 11 Day Power Play Community Shift. In 2018 and 2019, the Community Shift raised a total of $2.9 million for cancer causes, and over $4 million has been raised by The 11 Day Power Play since 2017 all of which has been donated towards cancer causes.
Those who plan to participate in either (or both!) of these events can now take advantage of “performance conditioning programs” that will prepare them to achieve their personal goal(s) for each event and avoid injuries while doing so.
The performance conditioning programs have been created by the Sports Medicine professionals at Excelsior, specifically for each event, and are an extension of Excelsior’s sponsorship of them. Excelsior has been the health and wellness sponsor for the Buffalo Marathon since 2017, and has been one of the lead sponsors for the 11 Day Power Play since its inception in 2017, while also providing on-site medical coverage during the event.
“We’re so excited to continue to support both the Buffalo Marathon and the 11 Day Power Play, and we pride ourselves on the proactive approach we take to these sponsorships,” said Josette Fisher, PT, ATC, CSCS, Excelsior’s Director of Sports Medicine and Wellness. “Rather than simply putting our name on a poster or website, we want to add real value for those who are participating in these events. That’s what we’re doing with our performance conditioning programs – helping athletes of all experience and skill levels compete in them, achieve their personal goals, have fun, avoid injuries all while supporting two tremendous WNY initiatives.”
The following is a snapshot of the two performance conditioning programs:
Buffalo Marathon Performance Conditioning Program
- 14 week program
- Limited to 100 participants
- Begins with the completion of an “athletic profile” – an individual orthopaedic and performance screening involving posture, foot type, mobility, flexibility, and strength.
- Excelsior’s physical therapists will provide participants with a customized corrective exercise program to help them improve upon any weaknesses or imbalances.
- Participants can access 7 aerobic cross-training sessions during the program
- Cost is $199 per athlete (includes an Excelsior Sports training t-shirt)
- To register contact Jim Starkey, Excelsior Sports Training Coordinator at (716) 250-6500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
11 Day Power Play Performance Conditioning Program
- 8 week, 16 session group training program
- Program begins the week of May 11 and runs through the week of June 29.
- Group training sessions will be hosted in the evening(s, imes & dates will be based on total participation.
- Cost is $150 per athlete
- To register contact Jim Starkey, Excelsior sports Training Coordinator at (716) 250-6500 or go to excelsiorortho.com/classes
“Excelsior Orthopaedics has always been a vital part of our endurance events. Their support and guidance means our players’ safety is always in the best hands possible.” – Amy Lesakowski Co-founder and Executive Director of The 11 Day Power Play