About Dr. Matuszak
Dr. Matuszak is a board certified, fellowship-trained primary care sports medicine physician. He launched the first comprehensive sports concussion center in Western New York, and was the first physician in the area to become certified in musculoskeletal ultrasound by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography. Dr. Matuszak is currently serving a one year position as the President of the New York State Academy of Family Physicians, a statewide family medicine academy, and he has been heavily influential in statewide concussion management policy and law through the Education Department and the State Legislature. He also sits on the Board of Directors of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. His approach to care is deeply rooted in prevention — his favorite procedure is the one that doesn’t need to be performed.
Dr. Matuszak serves as an associate team physician for the Buffalo Bisons, and in 2020 became a team physician for the MLB team the Toronto Blue Jays, as they played their home games in Buffalo. When he’s not busy at work, Dr. Matuszak stays busy at home with his wife and children. Though he took up running a bit later into adulthood, he’s completed 12 marathons and is involved in the WNY running community through support of endurance athletes. He was the driving force behind Excelsior's endurance athlete training program, STRIDES, which works with injured athletes to speed recovery and mitigate the risk of re-injury.
How is sports medicine changing?
“In the last few years at Excelsior, we’ve introduced orthobiologics. That means using and harnessing the healing properties of the body. This could mean taking bone marrow or a portion of the blood that contains growth factors, and injecting that into the injured body part. Or, if there are injuries that just aren’t healing the way they should, we can use these procedures to stimulate healing. These orthobiologics can help improve function and pain levels by taking the body’s own regenerative capabilities and putting them into a place where they can do the most good.”
What’s your favorite sport to watch?
“I enjoy watching football and hockey, and baseball, but more importantly I like seeing sports played well. I love watching any sport as long as it’s done by people who are out there achieving and performing at the highest level. Not just elite athletes, but anyone who’s out there doing the best that they can. We try to get out there and see a lot of sporting events, whether it’s rowing or a figure skating competition. Seeing people achieve passion on the field makes any sport great.
Bachelor of Arts in Biology & English, University at Buffalo Buffalo, NY
Doctor of Medicine, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Family Medicine Residency, St. Joseph’s Hospital, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
Sports Medicine Fellowship, John A. Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Manoa, HI
CAQ, Primary Care Sports Medicine
RMSK, American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Accreditations & Professional Memberships
American Academy of Family Physicians
Fellow, New York State Academy of Family Physicians
Director, Board of the New York State Academy of Family Physicians
Education Commission Chair, New York State Academy of Family Physicians
American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
American Medical Association
Medical Society of the State of New York
Erie County Medical Society
American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
American College of Sports Medicine
Diplomate, American Board of Family Medicine
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, SUNY Buffalo
Reviewer, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Concussion –normal and protracted recovery and long-term implications
- Physical Activity Vital Sign
- Running and endurance-sport related injuries and medical conditions
- Clinical informatics and change management
- Healthcare delivery transformation
- NCAA Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports (CSMAS) Best Research Poster 2008
- Buffalo Business First’s Healthcare 50 – 2013
- Erie County Association of School Boards Excellence in Collaboration Award – Honorable Mention (2012)
- President’s Award, NYSAFP – 2012, 2019
- Concussion and Neurocognitive Assessment. AAFP Assembly. Washington, DC. Oct 2014.
- Musculoskeletal Exam Techniques. AAFP Assembly. Washington, DC. Oct 2014.
- Return to Play Guidelines. AAFP Assembly. Washington, DC. Oct 2014.
- Best Practice Guidelines in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis. AMSSM Annual Meeting. Hollywood, Fl. April 2015.
- Implementing the Physical Activity Vital Sign. ACSM Annual Meeting. Boston, MA. June 2016.
- Common Ski Injuries. Sports Medicine Winter Summit. Park City, UT. Mar 2018
- The Downed Athlete. Sports Medicine Winter Summit. Park City, UT. Mar 2018
- A Brief Overview of Key Private Practice Considerations. AMSSM Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. Apr 2018.
- Ultrasound-Guided Joint Injections, AAFP Family Medicine Experience (FMX). New Orleans, LA. Oct. 2018.
- Clinical Informatics for the Sports Medicine Physician. AMSSM Annual Meeting. Houston, TX. Apr 2019.
- Exercise / Exercise Prescription in the Elderly. Kenmore Mercy Hospital. Tonawanda, NY. Jan 2009.
- Sport Concussion. St. Joseph’s Hospital. Syracuse, NY. March 2009.
- Exercise / Exercise Prescription in the Geriatric Population. Sisters of Charity Hospital. Buffalo, NY. March, 2009.
- Concussion Updates. Sisters of Charity Hospital. Buffalo, NY. May 2009.
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound in Sports Medicine. University of Hawaii. Honolulu, HI. Sept 2010.
- Percutaneous Needle Tenotomy – A novel treatment for chronic tendonosis. St. Joseph’s Hospital, Syracuse, NY. Nov 2011.
- Concussion Updates. Where Are We Headed? Beth Israel Family Medicine Department, New York, NY. Dec 2012.
- Concussion Updates: Where Are We Headed? Sisters of Charity Hospital. Buffalo, NY. Jan 2014.
Community / Mass Participation
- 2003-2006, 2008, 2010 Empire State Games
- 2005-2007 Toggenburg Ski Patrol
- 2006, 2015 Ironman Triathlon
- 2006, 2010, 2012, 2014 Ironman Triathlon World Championships
- 2007 Honolulu Marathon
- 2009, 2012 Amherst Soccer – AIM Tournament
- 2010, 2011, 2019 JP Morgan Corporate Challenge
- 2006-2007 Syracuse University
- 2007-2008 University of Hawaii, Manoa
- 2008-present Buffalo Bisons, AAA Baseball Team, Team Physician, Medical
- 2015 WNY Flash, Women’s Professional Soccer, Team Physician, Medical
- 2020 Toronto Blue Jays, Major League Baseball, Team Physician, Medical
Olympic / US National Teams
- 2009 USA Boxing, Ringside Physician
- 2011 United States Olympic Committee
- 2011 USA Hockey, U-20 Junior Hockey, Team Physician
- 2002-present New York State Certified Football Officials, National Federation of High Schools
- 2005-present National Ski Patrol, Medical Associate
- 2006 Westhill High School Varsity Football
- 2006 East Syracuse Minoa High School Varsity Football
- 2007-2008 Mililani High School Varsity and Junior Varsity Football
- 2008- 2012 Canisius High School
- 2008- present St Joseph’s Collegiate Institute, Team Physician
- 2008- present Amherst High School, Team Physician
- 2009- present Williamsville North High School, Team Physician
- 2009- present Williamsville South High School, Team Physician
- 2009- present Williamsville East High School, Team Physician
- 2013-present Clarence High School, Supervising Physician
- 2013-present Starpoint High School, Supervising Physician
- 2015-present West Seneca East High School, Supervising Physician
- 2015-present West Seneca West High School, Supervising Physician
- 2015-present Nardin Academy, Supervising Physician
- 2006-present Sweet Home. Supervising Physician
- 2019-present St. Francis High School, Supervising Physician
Journal Articles – Lead author
- A Practical Concussion Physical Examination Toolbox: Evidence-Based Physical Examination for Concussion. Sports Health May, 2016
- Preventing Sports Injury and Illness: Key Resources for Family Physicians. Am Fam Physician. Apr, 2017
Journal Articles – Co-authored
- Brain or Strain? Symptoms Alone Do Not Distinguish Physiologic Concussion from Cervical/Vestibular Injury. Clin J Sport Med. May, 2015
- Call to Action on Making Physical Activity Assessment and Prescription a Medical Standard of Care. May, 2016
- Safety and Prognostic Utility of Provocative Exercise Testing in Acutely Concussed Adolescents: A Randomized Trial. Clin J Sp Med. Jan, 2018.
- The Collegiate / Professional Male Athlete. Clinical Men’s Health: Evidence in Practice. Joel J. Heidelbaugh, MD. Sept 2007.
- Concussion Algorithm. 5 Minute Clinical Consult. Frank Domino. 2011, 2012, and 2013
- The Athlete with Cancer. ACSM’s Sports Medicine: A Comprehensive Review. Francis O’Connor. Sept 2012.
- Research. Preparticipation Physical Evaluation, 5th ed. AAP. 2019
- The team physician and strength and conditioning of athletes for sports: a consensus statement. Med Sci Sports Exerc. Feb, 2015.
- Selected Issues in Injury and Illness Prevention and the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement. Jan, 2016.
- Psychological Issues Related to Illness and Injury in Athletes and the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement—2016 Update. May 2017.
- Female Athlete Issues for the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement—2017 Update. May 2018.
- Load, Overload, and Recovery in the Athlete: Select Issues for the Team Physician—A Consensus Statement. April 2019.
- Select Issues in Managing Pain in Athletes: A Team Physician Consensus Statement. – in publication
Clinical Practice Guidelines
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Management of Rotator Cuff Injuries Clinical Practice Guidelines. 2019.
Dr. Matuszak's Team
Dr. Matuszak works with a team of medical professionals who support Dr. Matuszak’s practice to provide you the best care and treatment possible. During your appointment, you may interact with a member of his expert team.
Christopher Stawitz, ATC
Where Dr. Matuszak Practices Medicine
- Excelsior Orthopaedics Amherst
- Excelsior Orthopaedics Orchard Park
- Excelsior Orthopaedics Niagara Falls