The following are common questions patients have regarding their visit to Excelsior Orthopaedics. If you have any questions or concerns not answered here, please contact us through our electronic request system or call us at (716) 250-9999.
As a new patient, you should prepare the following: 1.) Complete the New Patient Intake Form (can be filled out online here), 2.) Insurance information (insurance card), 3.) A list of any medications, vitamins, or supplements you are currently taking, 4.) A list of any allergies you may have, 5.) A brief medical history for our records, 6.) Any test results, x-rays, or MRIs, 7.) A referral number if you are a member of an insurance plan that requires pre-authorization, 8.) Your co-pay. Payment is expected at the time of service.
Workers compensation patients, must provide the following information in order to schedule your first appointment: 1.) Date of Injury, 2.) Employer’s name and address, 3.) Employer’s insurance carrier’s name and address, 4.) Insurance carrier claim number (this comes from the insurance company), 5.) Workers’ Compensation Board case number, 6.) Photo ID, 7.) Your insurance card.
If you need to make or change an appointment, please contact our office at (716) 250-9999 or use our online appointment request form.
If you need to cancel an appointment, please provide our office with 24-hour notice by telephone at (716) 250-9999.
If you are in need of immediate medical assistance, you should go to the nearest emergency center or dial 911.
Please call our office at (716) 250-9999 before your prescription runs out. Please note, we do not provide prescription services on the weekends.
Medicare & Railroad Medicare, HealthNow of WNY (Blue Cross Blue Shield), Independent Health Association, Univera Healthcare, Empire Plan, Workers’ Compensation, Fidelis, Nova, North American Preferred, United Healthcare, Aetna, Emblem Health/GHI, Tricare, Molina Healthcare (Yourcare), MVP/Cigna HMO & PPO plans. Please note, accepted insurance is subject to change and varies by provider. See our full list of accepted insurance plans here.
Please be aware of your insurance coverage, policy provisions and pre-authorization requirements. Due to physician participation variables, it will be essential for each patient to contact their insurance provider to verify that our physician accepts your coverage. While we will bill all providers regardless of participation, it is the patient’s responsibility to pay the remaining balance.
Yes, Excelsior will complete New York State Disability claim forms on your behalf within 7 business days of our receipt of your payment and the forms. Please note: we charge a fee of $15 per form for completion of the forms. Forms will NOT be completed until service fee is received.
Depending upon your insurance carrier, you may or may not need a referral from your primary care provider. Please check with your primary care physician to find out if you need a referral or contact us by calling (716) 250-9999.
We have physicians at our locations in Amherst, East Amherst, Orchard Park, and Niagara Falls. Please call (716) 250-9999 to schedule your appointment and determine which location is appropriate.
Yes, one physician can see you initially for all of your orthopaedic needs. However, when you schedule your initial appointment our team will ask you about your aliments to determine which physician would be best for you to start with. It may be determined that you should see one of our team doctors who is a specialist in the treatment that you will need. This can be determined after your initial evaluation.
Our billing office is happy to assist you with any billing and/or insurance related questions. You can contact our billing team directly at (716) 250-6401, or visit the Pay My Bill page for more information.
Depending on the circumstances we recommend the following:
First time visit and you have already logged into Patient Portal and completed the initial registration documents we recommend arriving 15 minutes before your appointment.
First time visit and you have NOT logged into Patient Portal and have NOT completed any of the initial registration documents we recommend arriving 30 minutes before your appointment.
Follow-up patients: We recommend arriving about 5 minutes before your appointment.
Yes, we have a new physical & occupational therapy office located at 438 Main Street, Suite 103, Buffalo NY 14202. To make an appointment, please call 716-906-5666.
This depends on the type of procedure that was performed and the individual. Physical therapy can help many people regain motion and strength in their joints and do-so faster than those who choose not to take part in Physical Therapy. We offer a superior team of Physical and Occupational therapist who will develop therapy treatment plans specific for your needs.
At Excelsior Orthopaedics the safety and well-being of our patients & staff is our highest priority. Our internal taskforce, made up of physicians and managers, continue to meet weekly to monitor this critical situation, develop proactive protocols and ensure that we are following all CDC and Erie County Department of Health guidelines.
For your safety, as well as that of other patients and staff, we have developed the following guidelines:
- Remain at Home: If you are sick, experiencing fever, cough, shortness of breath or you believe you may have been exposed to COVID – 19. Please do not come to your scheduled appointment. Contact your Primary Care Physician immediately and then contact our office by phone: 716-250-9999 or utilize our Patient Portal to send a secure message. If you don’t have access to your Patient Portal, please contact our office by phone. We are waiving all fees for cancellations until further notice.
- Proactive Screening: All staff, physicians, patients and visitors who enter our medical office buildings will be screened. Screening will include questioning about recent travel, symptoms and a temperature check.
- Social Distancing: Once entering an Excelsior Orthopaedics facility you will notice new signage and floor decals promoting social distancing. We have re-worked our internal work flows to try and avoid crowding as well as worked diligently to rearrange waiting rooms to promote social distancing.
- No Guests: When you come to Excelsior for your scheduled appointment, only you will be allowed inside the office. Anyone who is accompanying you will need to wait outside the building – in a vehicle or elsewhere on the grounds during your appointment.There are two exceptions to this policy:
a. If you require the assistance of an essential caregiver that caregiver can join you in the office for your appointment.
b. If you are is under 18 years old, in which case your parent or guardian can accompany you in the office.
- Cleaning: We have established dedicated teams focused on routine cleaning of all patient and high traffic areas. Additionally, we have installed new hand sanitizer dispensers and have made adjustment to our HVAC units to increase the amount of fresh outside air entering our buildings.
No. When you come to Excelsior for your scheduled appointment, only you will be allowed inside the office. Anyone who is accompanying you will need to wait outside the building – in a vehicle or elsewhere on the grounds during your appointment.
There are two exceptions to this policy:
- If you require the assistance of an essential caregiver that caregiver can join you in the office for your appointment.
- If you are under 18 years old, in which case your parent or guardian can accompany you in the office.
This policy is critical to our ability to ensure the safety of our patients and staff.
That being said, we also recognize that some patients like to have a family member or caregiver participate in their appointment to ask questions or clarify a diagnosis, treatment options, instructions, etc. So we are happy to accommodate that by giving you the opportunity to use your phone/mobile device to connect with your family member/caregiver during your appointment, so that person can speak directly with your physician or other provider.
Yes. In compliance with the executive order issued by Governor Cuomo. All patients and any guests who enter our facilities will be required to wear a mask or face covering. Patients who are unable to comply with this requirement will be required to reschedule their appointment. Additional information regarding this requirement can be found on the NYS Department of Health Website: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home